Indian Articles: How are JHS and POTS related?

"Somehow our devils are never quite what we expect when we meet them face to face". Nelson DeMille.
"The mind can cook up very subtle syndromes to throw at our bodies". Astrid Alauda.
The varying clinical presentations of not so well recognized diseases, which continue to haunt patients is well described in the above quotes.
Those are the opening lines of the article, "Joint Hypermobility Syndrome and Dysautonomia: Expanding Spectrum of Disease Presentation and Manifestation", by Dr. Shomu Bohora, Baroda Heart Institute and Research Centre, Vadodara, India. [Indian Pacing Electrophysiol J. 2010; 10(4): 158–161. Published online 2010 Apr 1.] 

The author also directs our attention to another article by a US group in the same issue of the journal, "Comparative Clinical Profile of Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Patients With and Without Joint Hypermobility Syndrome" by Khalil Kanjwal et al. 

The author comments: 
Based on the present study by Kanjwal et al, it may be appropriate that all young patients who present with symptoms of migraine or syncope, who have symptoms and orthostatic stress suggesting POTS should also be screened for hypermobility of joints and for JHS.
 I found this interesting because I have migraine and I also have low blood pressure (usually 100-110/ 60-70) and occasional palpitations. When I was 20 years old, I consulted a physician for migraine and he gave me Propranolol which made my blood pressure drop to 90/ 56 mm Hg. I stopped the medicine after a few months.

I often wonder how would my life be if I was diagnosed when I was a teenager. Who would I be today? How would I be today? 


Note: I was elated to see the author has used the name JHS and not BJHS in his article.